Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lauren Sorenson

Hi, my name is Lauren Sorenson. I'm a freshman from Plymouth, MN (the number one city to live in America, incase you forgot). Since this class is about Divides and Differences in a Multicultural Society, maybe you want to know my experience with other cultures? My city is very diverse, especially my high school. It's not a rich public school at all, and we actually have to bus kids in from Minneapolis just to get a little more money. So since there are a lot of kids bussed in from Minneapolis, there is a large African-American, Hmong, Latino, and Muslim population at my school, as well as many other ethnicities. I wouldn't really say that I have a lot of friends from different races other than caucasian because I don't... but I've had many interactions with other cultures and ethnicities, some good and some bad. I think during discussion in this class I'll be able to bring a very balanced point of view. Because I was surrounded by a multitude of cultures in an educational environment, I can explain my point of view on if there really is a barrier to access information for minorities... or perhaps an unwillingness to access it (just an observation in my community...).

3 comments:

  1. haha ridiculous small... it looked fine when i was typing it. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lauren, I think we'll forgive you. And I enjoyed the your honesty. Sadly, mine town has slumped to only the third best city to live in America...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you involved the theme of the class into your intro...gave a good sense of where you came from and what you will bring in to discussions in this class!

    ReplyDelete