Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Joshua Havelka

Hi I'm Josh.  I am a sophomore.  I graduated from Kettle Moraine High School in Wales, WI.  After graduating I went to UW Waukesha.  I transferred from UW Waukesha after the last semester, so this is my first semester at UW Madison.  I am majoring in Actuarial Science, and I am taking this class to fulfill the ethnic studies and humanities requirements.  I have been from Waukesha since I was only a year and a half old.  There is very little diversity in Waukesha.  My high school was over 90% white, so I am interested in learning about other groups and what their life styles are like.

3 comments:

  1. What's up Josh, I figured I'd throw you a comment since I noticed you were majoring in actuarial science. I absolutely despise math so props for majoring in a subject that is essentially all math. Also, I noticed you are a transfer student which is quite different from myself but still very cool. Despite the subtle differences, I'm from Franklin which isn't too far from Waukesha and based on your description sounds very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh. I also didn't have a lot of diversity in high school and I want to learn about other cultures. In a sense my high school was pretty diverse. My school consisted of 75 percent white people and 25 percent Native Americans. However, being from the little town of Hayward there was only one Mexican in my school and possibly one African American person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from Waukesha too! It's interesting that you brought up Waukesha's lack of diversity--which I totally agree with, but didn't mention in my own post. Our geographical backgrounds definitely affect the way we perceive other cultural groups. But Waukesha does have some pretty big class divides, even amongst the schools, like some had better computer labs, or a car shop, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete