Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hey there =]

Hello, my name is Linda Gomez and I am from Madison. I am a freshman at the UW and my intended major is currently Genetics. But with that being said, I am open-minded to the posibility that it will change later on in the future.
I am a first generation, Mexican student and I feel that I have experienced some of the barriers of the digital divide in first person. For instance, I used to belong to a community where no one had access to any type of computers. The first time that I had ever seen a computer in person was in 5th grade in the year 2000.

I hope that my background will be able to help out not only myself, but also my fellow classmates. =]

6 comments:

  1. I find it amazing that you hadn't seen a computer until fifth grade, as I was introduced to computers in my own home at an earlier age. I can only imagine how difficult that was for you, as more and more computers were being incorporated into the classroom. I imagine typing was difficult at first.
    We discussed the digital divide last semester, in one of my classes, but I was unaware of the impact that it still had, and continues to have. I agree that your experience will bring a lot to this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so exciting to be a first generation student, congratulations! I really look forward to learning about your background, and speaking Spanish with you! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. (:

    I think it's cool that you're already looking at how your life applies to the class. I didn't think to do anything like that in my introduction, so good job! It sounds like you'll have a lot of interesting things to say from personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll have so much to add to this class! I bet it would have been so difficult to feel at any time that you didn't have all the necessary resources available to you. The place I come from is not diverse at all, so it will be great to learn from you and others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's unbelievable that your community didn't have access to a computer. I had access to a computer before I even started kindergarten. I can't imagine my life without a computer before 5th grade. You'll be able to have a big impact on our discussions on the digital divide and I'm anxious to hear more about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola! (Is it right? (:)
    I trevalled to Mexico last summer!
    I think we have something in common because I was living in community that was not much developted when i was young and your posting reminded my chindhood...I can't wait to hear more interesting stories!

    ReplyDelete